river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: API docs/specs availability
Date Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:51:43 GMT
Oops forgot to send.

Mike Morris wrote:
> Mark Brouwer wrote:
>
>> Correct, the current distribution contains the javadoc for offline
>> reading as well as the source, so I expect the binary distribution to
>> contain the javadoc as well in the future.
>
> For binary packaging I would prefer to see docs as a separate download,
> since frequently the binary package is just being used for a server
> deployment where docs are not needed.

I have no problem with that but it would result in a separate source,
binary and docs distribution to get everything. If we want to have these
3 distributions it might seem beneficial to have a forth that is the
aggregation of these 3, because I can imagine it will frustrate some
people who want to have everything in one download to be able to play
with it, which would resemble the current download and brings us on 4
distributions.

I don't know whether 4 downloads is wisdom though ... but I have nothing
against it. Also I have no good understanding how people would use the
binary distribution, do they rely on the layout as is for production
purposes or do they just use the various jar files and other resource as
building blocks for their own products that go into production. My
personal behavior is for deployment of software to strip unnecessary
stuff, but I believe that there is no single definition of 'unnecessary
stuff' ;-)

I saw Jim creating an issue for this, although it is not clear whether
he believes the binary distribution should not include the javadoc.
--
Mark