river-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Morris <mikro...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: River release naming, version, etc.
Date Wed, 26 Sep 2007 07:58:23 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:

> As such I would like to have a version numbering discussion
> in the context of specification versus incarnation.

Very good point!

> It might be that I'm alone in this (if so I really like to hear) but to

"You are not alone" ;-)

> me River doesn't represent the only 'Jini' out there and at least I have
> the need for something more stable on the network edge than something
> for which version numbers are increased by the River versioning scheme
> and whether a package name is changing and in that context might
> represent a major release.

I would strongly support decoupling Specification version numbers from
River release version numbers.  We need only look over at Tomcat for an
implementation of the principle.  Given such a situation Craig's
suggestion (river goes to release 3.0 when com.sun.jini.* goes to
org.apache.jini.*) makes good sense, since it clearly signals "Your code
  may have to change."

--
mike morris :: mikro2nd (at) gmail (dot) com

http://mikro2nd.net/
http://mikro2nd.net/blog/planb/
http://mikro2nd.net/blog/mike/

-- A day without chillies is a day wasted --