river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: River release naming, version, etc.
Date Mon, 24 Sep 2007 09:16:16 GMT
Jim Hurley wrote:
> On Sep 21, 2007, at 5:00 PM, Bob Scheifler wrote:
>> Jim Hurley wrote:
>> :
>>> I'll propose for now that we just call it "Apache River".
>>
>> +1, except for explaining the jsk- prefixes in the jar file names.
>
> Hmm... good catch.
>
> I'm guessing we will want to change the jar file names over
> time to river-   (?)    Running with that assumption, I think we
> could explain that we're keeping the jsk- prefixes in the jar file
> names for this first (couple?) release(s) to help ease the transition
> for those who've been using the Starter Kit.
>
> Make sense, or nonsense?

Because of the question mark I'll respond :-)

Well, regardless of the name, it will probably needs an explanation of
what it represents anyway. JSK in the past at least made it clear that
it was a kit to get started with the Jini Technology and I liked that,
especially in the beginning of Jini it was the only way.

To me River represents an aggregation of a lot of things for which my
guess is that in time it will be more of different Jini related things
instead of less. All jar files having a prefix of river might help in
having unique jar files but to me it provides no other value than just
that at this point.

I don't know whether it is a requirement that JAR files include
the project name, but for example (and it is really just an example) if
we had a formal Jini Platform definition as part of River for which we
had a JAR file I would like to see it having the name jini-platform.jar
opposed to river-platform.jar .

Not knowing yet how River will evolve I think we shouldn't be too
worried about how something is named ... we don't know whether this will
be a boy or a girl.
--
Mark