river-dev mailing list archives

From "John McClain - Sun Microsystems, Inc." <John.McCl...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: River release naming, version, etc.
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 21:37:10 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:
>> Finally, around version -- some have expressed a desire to follow
>> the version numbering of the starter kit (to align with those releases
>> and communicate that this isn't a 0.1 release or the like).  Thus, the
>> last Starter Kit release was "v2.1" so this could be (v.2.1.1, v2.2, or
>> v.3.0).  I don't really have a personal preference on this one at all,
>> and am very interested in what your opinion is here.
>
> v2.1.1

This is what I would lean towards for AR1. The only hitch might be that
because we are dropping Outrigger's logstore we might want the version
number to signal a bigger change, however, I would argue that because
there was no pro.zip in v2.1 that getting rid of logstore isn't as much
of a change as it seems at first glance and overall v2.1.1 communicates
the right level of change.

I assume at some point before we exit incubation the need to move from
the com.sun.jini package name space will make us want to bump the
version number to at least 2.2, if not 3.0.

--
John McClain					john.mcclain@sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

And it is that way today. We are tricked by hope into starting
companies, beginning books, immigrating to this country and investing
in telecom networks. The challenges turn out to be tougher than we
imagined. Our excessive optimism is exposed. New skills are demanded.
But nothing important was ever begun in a prudential frame of mind.

         - David Brooks