river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: River release naming, version, etc.
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 16:52:05 GMT
Jim Hurley wrote:
>> OPEN
>> =====
>> * Name, Version, release bundle, top-level installation directory
>
> Apache has some guidelines around release file naming, as
> discussed in:
> <http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#naming>
>
> Following those, it seems like we should call our release:
>   *  apache-river-<#release number>-incubating-{bin/src}.{tar/zip}
>
> Having a separate binary and source release is different than our
> practice with the Jini starter kit... but seems to fit into the best
> practices outlined in the "A Guide to Release Management During Incubation
> (DRAFT)".  We could include the source in the binary distribution, but
> I'll propose we don't for now (smaller download, potentially different
> user, etc).

I'm comfortable with a source and binary download but as those
interested in the first release indicated they wanted it to be
compatible to the largest extent possible and what will the impact be?
Will an overlay of the source and binary distribution e.g. result in
something that equals the current JTSK distribution, if so I don't see a
real problem.

> For the top-level installation directory, I'll propose
>   "apache-river-<#release number>"/
>
> For "naming" - we do have the option of using a different name in the
> release (for example, in the release documentation, we could refer to
> it as "River Starter Kit" or some such).  I'll propose for now that we
> just call it "Apache River".

Personally I would prefer "Apache River Jini Technology Kit" and
therefore apache-river-jtk-<#release number>-incubating...,
but these are all the words I want to spend on discussing a name :-)

> Finally, around version -- some have expressed a desire to follow
> the version numbering of the starter kit (to align with those releases
> and communicate that this isn't a 0.1 release or the like).  Thus, the
> last Starter Kit release was "v2.1" so this could be (v.2.1.1, v2.2, or
> v.3.0).  I don't really have a personal preference on this one at all,
> and am very interested in what your opinion is here.

v2.1.1
--
Mark