river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: a potential "AR1" release
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2007 20:35:10 GMT
Dan Creswell wrote:
> John Sarman wrote:
>
>>I know that most would like to see River have a release, but has anybody
>>discussed making the minimum required JRE 1.5.
>>Jini alway craved the need for templates and Generics and the move to River
>>would allow for just that.
>
> That's been discussed over on Jini-Users a few times don't think there's
> an agreed view (be worth checking through the archives).  I also think
> this is probably to big of an issue to be considering for AR1 (which to
> a reasonable degree is about us committers figuring out how to drive).
>
> Might also be worth organizing some kind of canvas to find out what JDK
> is in production around commercial Jini-user land.......

We are definately committed to JDK1.6 at this point due to several features
there.  So even JDK1.5 as a base is okay with me.  I think that given the
limited remaining life of JDK1.4 vs the time frame of a first "River" release,
that stipulating JDK1.5 as a base, regardless of whether generics are used or
some other JDK1.5 feature would be a safety net worth casting to aid all of us
in being able to more fully utilize some of the language features, such as
generics, which some consider to help in the use of the Jini toolkit, rather
than enhance it in some performance or stability way.

Gregg Wonderly