river-dev mailing list archives

From "John McClain - Sun Microsystems, Inc." <John.McCl...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: development process
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 14:59:26 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Thanks for chipping in Jools,
>
> Jools wrote:

[...]

>> Every test should have a unit test. JUnit has served me well over the
>> years.

FWIW, in "service land" (e.g. Reggie, Outrigger, etc.) I wouldn't
characterize most (any?) of the existing tests as "unit tests", they
generally run against complete services (or even multiple services). Not
sure how "unit testable" the River services are.

The other nice thing about writing against the service interfaces is the
tests are (generally) still valid after the internals of the service
changes.

>> Every patch should have an attached unit test to prove out the patch.
>>
>> Both the patch and the unit test must be reviewed.
>>
>> A bug in the unit test is sometimes worse than a bug in the patch !
>
> I hope Nigel of others familiar with the QA framework can shed some
> light here, but in general I think we should continue with what is
> already in place.
>
> For many things I want to submit I fail to see how to write a proper
> unit test (which can be entirely my fault). Most of these fixes were
> indirectly tested by deployment of complete systems and observed for
> strange/other behavior. It sounds kind of lame ... but e.g. writing a
> test for a modification to ClassDep I consider too complex and expensive
> versus seeing whether Seven and other services still correctly builds
> (which touches everything).

I have certainly done a number of bug fixes where it was impractical to
write a test. Race conditions are a particular issue here.

--
John McClain					john.mcclain@sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

And it is that way today. We are tricked by hope into starting
companies, beginning books, immigrating to this country and investing
in telecom networks. The challenges turn out to be tougher than we
imagined. Our excessive optimism is exposed. New skills are demanded.
But nothing important was ever begun in a prudential frame of mind.

         - David Brooks