river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Draft Board Report September
Date Sun, 02 Sep 2007 14:55:44 GMT
Hi all,

Please comment/correct when my view of our progress since the last Board
report doesn't match the collective view, point out spelling/grammar
mistakes, or make remarks about the issues worth mentioning I forgot:

"The last artifact, the QA framework, has been voted in and landed in
SVN. An automated build environment has been put in place and finally
all outstanding issues from the Sun issue tracking system have been
manually migrated in a large group effort into JIRA.

The River community agreed to do a first release to show the larger Jini
community it is serious in its efforts. It ain't a very ambitious
release and will be almost an equivalent of the last release done by Sun
but includes the ServiceUI code. This release also allows the River
community to get acquainted and find out about many of the ASF
procedures. No transformation of the com.sun.jini namespace to
org.apache.river will take place, but the River community is aware it
has to do that and will find an opportune moment for that during incubation.

As a side effect of the ambitions for the first release discussions on
new functionality don't seem to take off very well, but that time is
used to discuss the process the River project believes it needs to
establish. Although most committers have expressed their desire to have
code-review before code is being committed, due to complexity of the
codebase and the difficulty to test many aspects properly, it seems much
harder to decide to what extend to enforce that. We are in the process
of finding the right workable process to support those beliefs:
strong/soft RTC, CTR with the expectation committers know when they need
a review up-front, or something completely different. It will be
interesting to see whether the group can come up with a proposal
finally, or that due to tiredness interest in the subject will fade away
and we end up what is likely common with most other ASF projects.

US export regulations apply to the River codebase and although discussed
in the very early days we were living under the (wrong) impression that
complying to them only applied when we were about to release. We are
aware now we had to take care of it even before the code landed in SVN
and we are going to comply as soon as possible."
--
Mark