river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>
Subject Re: a potential "AR1" release
Date Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:09:15 GMT
Bob Scheifler wrote:
> Gregg Wonderly wrote:
>
>> Perhaps in view that jar layouts may change further, there might be an
>> official directory of deprecated jars so that documentation and
>> discussions can focus on the nature of those jars?
>
> Moving the existing deprecated jars (jini-core.jar, jini-ext.jar,
> sdm-dl.jar, sun-util.jar) could break existing scripts/etc that
> reference them, so if the desire is for AR1 to maintain maximum
> compatibility, it would seem preferable to leave them where they are.

Your call, but my thoughts are that there will already be some changes involved
in testing and integrating AR1, for many.  So, having to change some referred to
directory structures, etc, may not be a big impact overall.

I still use jini-core, jini-ext and sun-util myself.  I copy these files out of
the distribution into a secondary, versioned structure (because I have made many
edits on my copy of the 2.1 source tree).  The source of those jars is
abstracted by this fact.

Gregg Wonderly