river-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: API docs/specs availability
Date Sat, 22 Sep 2007 01:38:22 GMT
On Sep 20, 2007, at 7:18 AM, Holger Hoffstaette wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Sep 2007 22:23:03 -0400, Jim Hurley wrote:
>
>>> OPEN
>>> =====
>>> :
>>> * Should API docs (specs) and docs be available separately?
>>
>> We've typically done this in the past with the starter kit (and I
>> think
>> it's been helpful/useful) - so I'm guessing the sentiment on this is
>> 'yes'.  If anyone feels differently, please speak up.
>
> Absolutely +1 from this newbie lurker. Are there any other
> documents that
> might be helpful to new people looking at Jini/JavaSpaces? There is
> a long
> list of background reading material that we could point people to. I'm
> mostly familiar with everything around Spaces/Linda/concurrency
> since I
> just did a thesis on it and literally had to read it all :) but
> maybe more
> exists inside Sun/the Jini group? I found the material collected by
> Bill
> Venners on Artima to be really good.
>
> Maybe somewhat off-topic for this thread, but I guess what I'm really
> trying to say is - as River gains more exposure, people will
> inevitably
> look at Jini and especially Spaces and ask "where's the beef?". I know
> first hand that even the finer points of spaces seem to be too much
> for
> most people ("..can't we just use a replicated cache? it's less
> weird and
> proprietary!!"), which is quite frustrating.
>
> regards
> Holger

Thanks for the comments, Holger.

I agree -- we're definitely going to need other documentation
to help educate/interest people.  The articles and materials
at Artima are a bit dated, but still spot on and very good.

Have you looked at Jan Newmarch's online tutorial at all?
<http://jan.newmarch.name/java/jini/tutorial/Jini.xml>

Or Dan Creswell's "Creating a Jini 2.x Service"?
<http://www.dancres.org/cottage/service_build.html>

Or Warren Strange's "Jini Made Easier - Writing a Jini Service for
Seven"?
<http://blogs.sun.com/warren/entry/jini_made_easier_writing_a>

There's also the very good whitepaper, "Build a Compute grid with
Jini Technology":
<http://www.jini.org/files/whitepapers/JINI_ComputeGrid_WP_FINAL.pdf>
which is nice as it draws in commercial use cases.

Anyways, as you can tell... there are a lot of good articles and
information available.  We don't (as far as I know) have any
hidden articles/papers within Sun.

Thanks again for responding.  I encourage you to continue
actively participating in the project.

cheers -Jim