river-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: River release naming, version, etc.
Date Fri, 21 Sep 2007 19:57:25 GMT
On Sep 21, 2007, at 12:52 PM, Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Jim Hurley wrote:
> :
>> For the top-level installation directory, I'll propose
>>   "apache-river-<#release number>"/
>> For "naming" - we do have the option of using a different name in the
>> release (for example, in the release documentation, we could refer to
>> it as "River Starter Kit" or some such).  I'll propose for now
>> that we
>> just call it "Apache River".
>
> Personally I would prefer "Apache River Jini Technology Kit" and
> therefore apache-river-jtk-<#release number>-incubating...,
> but these are all the words I want to spend on discussing a name :-)

I was proposing that top level directory because it matched the
download naming.  It seems more consistent to me.

As for using "Apache River Jini Technology Kit" inside the release as
its name --  I think that's possible.  I'm not sure if that's a good
thing
or not....

Other opinions?

>> Finally, around version -- some have expressed a desire to follow
>> the version numbering of the starter kit (to align with those
>> releases
>> and communicate that this isn't a 0.1 release or the like).  Thus,
>> the
>> last Starter Kit release was "v2.1" so this could be (v.2.1.1,
>> v2.2, or
>> v.3.0).  I don't really have a personal preference on this one at
>> all,
>> and am very interested in what your opinion is here.
>
> v2.1.1

Since this release is focused on structuring/naming/working our way
through the Apache process (versus adding features in the release),
that makes sense.  Others?

thanks again -Jim