river-dev mailing list archives

From "Gianugo Rabellino" <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: development process
Date Fri, 31 Aug 2007 16:13:50 GMT
Hello Jools,

On 8/31/07, Jools <joolski@gmail.com> wrote:

> > * What kind of development process do we need?  JIRA issues for
> > >    all changes?  code reviews?
>
> IMHO I would prefer that JIRA be used for all code changes. It gives us
> visibility of what is happening, and can be used as the index for a change
> log which should be produced for every release.

Beware, however, of  mailing list and Jira getting out of sync, with
discussions moving to the issue tracker (bad!) and progress being
tracked on the mailing list (bad, again). This is something that is
bound to happen if there are information duplicates.

> Also, it might be that a developer in his own time developers a patch which
> is then submitted to the committers in private which would mean that the
> community would not have any visibility of the change in code.

Ouch. Why on earth should that happen? If there is something that ASF
is opposing, that's development and discussions happening outside the
mailing list and the community oversight. So much that, to some
extents, F2F events are somewhat discouraged and definitely regulated
in order to make sure that the discussion outcome gets to the mailing
list.

> If I was to offer my advice, I'd say keep the committer pool fairly small
> and allow submissions in the form of a patch.

Note that this is, again, somewhat against the established practice of
most (not any, httpd being a notable and important exception) ASF
projects, where the committer bar is kept intentionally low as a
community building methodology.

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino