river-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: development process
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 08:05:53 GMT
Hi,

On 8/29/07, Gianugo Rabellino <gianugo@apache.org> wrote:
> Bottom line: I think CTR + a good use of common sense is more than
> enough.

+1

There's another angle on the CTR/RTC issue as well. Especially with a
complex codebase there is a danger that people will just "do their
thing" and keep committing stuff without communicating with the rest
of the team/community on what's going on. Even though RTC does raise
the commit barrier, it also forces people to communicate what they are
doing.

With that in mind I'd suggest using at least a relaxed version of RTC
where Jira issues are raised for all non-trivial changes and a patch
or at least a written outline of the proposed solution is posted
before making the change based on lazy consensus. This is actually
what many (most?) Apache projects do in practice even if following the
CTR policy.

We could also start with a formal RTC policy, and relax it later as or
if people feel comfortable doing that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting