river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: development process
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 21:31:24 GMT
FYI...

Thanks to this question, I've asked around and it looks like very few
projects use the RTC model, and those projects use CTR for the trunk
and RTC for backports where stability is paramount.

Having RTC for some portions of a project where it's important, and
CTR for other parts is a rational policy. Especially since RTC by the
formal definition requires a +3 vote for all code changes, which is a
pretty significant hurdle.

How does this affect this discussion?

1. RTC and CTR can coexist in the same project for different parts.
Examples were contained in Gianugo's message yesterday: strong RTC
(that is review + vote) required for specific subsets such as:
   - API changes
   - backward-incompatible user-visible changes
   - backports to release branches
   - security fixes

2. CTR can be modified to include a requirement for at least one
review for significant changes.

3. Apache communities generally leave it up to the committers'
discretion whether a change is significant enough to warrant review.

Craig