river-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheif...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: development process
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 22:28:37 GMT
Craig L Russell wrote:
> So are you serious when you say " there's no downside to always granting
> karma to all codebases, because you clearly trust them not to abuse the
> privilege"?

I said I'd cease, so I'll try not to say much.
It seemed a logical outcome of what I understood to be Gianugo's
view about trust.  It's not a view I share.

> I'd really like it if you can try to understand Gianugo's comments,
> because they reflect my view of Apache as well.

I have been, apparently without complete success, since I wouldn't
have said your statements really match his.

> It's difficult for me to tell whether your comments are "I understand
> the Apache way and disagree with it" or "I don't understand the Apache
> way and am trying to understand".

I'm trying to understand the Apache way, without a lot of success it seems.
My perception so far is this:

    If you're looking for answers, don't trust the web site, as you'll
    likely find someone who will tell you that that part of it is
    wrong or a bad idea.  And if you ask N people the question instead,
    you'll likely get back >N answers.  Good luck storming the castle.

I find this a major disincentive to participate.  Probably just me.
Now let's steer the discussion back on course.

- Bob