river-dev mailing list archives

From "John McClain - Sun Microsystems, Inc." <John.McCl...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: a potential "AR1" release
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2007 14:41:16 GMT
Jim Hurley wrote:
> On Aug 28, 2007, at 3:43 PM, Frank Barnaby wrote:
>> I've done a test build with the serviceui sources moved into the jtsk
>> source tree (namespaces unchanged) and have found no obvious problems.
>
> Thanks Frank.
>
>> One other question comes to mind...  How should we handle the logstore
>> portion of the outrigger build?  Should we leave it as is, disable it
>> in the build, or remove the sources completely?  If we leave it as is,
>> we would need to consider including the prebuilt-outrigger-logstore.jar
>> in the source distribution, as Phil suggested, to allow builds without
>> the need for a Jini installation.  Disabling the logstore jar'ing
>> target, on the other hand, removes the dependency on the Jini binary
>> installation but leaves the logstore sources in a unaltered state.
>> In all cases, logstore cannot be used without pro.zip (the PSEpro
>> runtime library), but persistence is still attainable through the use
>> of the snaplogstore implementation.
>
> I'd lean towards what's expedient to get out "AR1" in short order -- but
> I do think we're going to have to bite the bullet and probably remove
> logstore from the build going forward. It doesn't seem to have long term
> viability.

My vote is to remove logstore altogether and do it for AR1.

--
John McClain					john.mcclain@sun.com
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

And it is that way today. We are tricked by hope into starting
companies, beginning books, immigrating to this country and investing
in telecom networks. The challenges turn out to be tougher than we
imagined. Our excessive optimism is exposed. New skills are demanded.
But nothing important was ever begun in a prudential frame of mind.

         - David Brooks