river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: License headers and jars in svn
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:24:36 GMT

On Jun 18, 2007, at 11:03 AM, Phil Steitz wrote:

> On 6/18/07, Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheifler@sun.com> wrote:
>> Frank Barnaby wrote:
>> > At first glance, I didn't see any build scripts for these jar
>> files,
>> > but I'll investigate further.
>>
>> I'm pretty sure they were all constructed by hand.
>>

> As long as their contents are appropriately licensed (which is true if
> they come from sources in the contribution), there is no legal reason
> we can't commit these jars to svn; but if they can be generated by
> build scripts without terrible build performance pain, it would be
> better, IMHO, to remove them from svn once that is set up.
>
> Similar to the package naming issue though, I think preserving a build
> that works is more important in the near term than tidiness, so I have
> no problem committing the jars for now.

+1

An objective should be to build what you can from your own project
sources; include dependencies as binaries from well-known
appropriately licensed external projects; and document the ownership
and licenses via suitable NOTICE files for redistribution.

Craig

> Phil

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com