river-dev mailing list archives

From "Gianugo Rabellino" <gian...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept the Starter Kit Contribution from Sun Microsystems
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2007 21:51:17 GMT
On 6/2/07, Jim Hurley <Jim.Hurley@sun.com> wrote:
> Sorry for the delay in responding.
>
> Thanks Jukka --  the plan is to bring in the code as is
> and make the changes you described (essentially
> com.sun.* --> org.apache.river.*).
>
> Question, though -- is it required that we make that
> change before we make an initial release?

You wouldn't be the first one asking to keep a namespace for
compatibility sake, see
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WicketProposal. However, the recent
beta from the Wicket guys is in the org.apache.wicket namespace.

I'm not sure if there are any stringent and formal rules from the ASF,
but indeed I would be very reluctant in releasing Apache code under a
non-Apache namespace, unless packages are carved in stone by an
implemented standard (such as javax.xml and, I assume, net.jini)

Ciao,

--
Gianugo Rabellino
Sourcesense, making sense of Open Source: http://www.sourcesense.com