river-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheif...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SourceAliveRemoteEvent Part II
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2007 21:19:35 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:
> My definition could be best described as "The set of those quantitative
> and qualitative characteristics of a distributed (multimedia) system,
> which are necessary in order to achieve the required functionality of an
> application." [1]
>
> Based on the above definition I find the constraint for SARE a
> reasonable QoS constraint.

I don't get how asking for SARE events translates into a quantitative
or qualitative characteristic, could you explain?  I also don't understand
why SARE event selection is QoS, but other event selections are not.

> As mentioned in the footnote in the response to Dan, if there is a
> better mechanism for catering what I would call QoS aspects, both at the
> method and proxy level, I'm all ears.

If SARE is an example, then method arguments seem a better mechanism.

The way I think of QoS, it additionally seems peculiar to be putting
QoS constraints on the event registration to affect event delivery;
QoS on event delivery should be done by placing constraints on the
event listener.

- Bob