river-dev mailing list archives

From Bob Scheifler <Bob.Scheif...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: SourceAliveRemoteEvent Part II
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 22:52:22 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:
>   SourceAliveRemoteEvent extends RemoteEvent
>   SourceAliveNotificationTime implements InvocationConstraint
>
> You obtain the ServiceRegistrar proxy and prepare it with constraints
> including a SourceAliveNotificationTime with a time-out or 30 seconds.
>
> You registering for receiving ServiceEvents through the
> RemoteEventListener passed in with ServiceRegistrar.notify().

One thing that bothers me is the use of constraints to pass
what seem to be method arguments.  It seems that this constraint
is only applicable to the event registration method, and it
isn't altering the communication semantics, it's being used as
a way to pass extra arguments without altering the method signature.
Both aspects feel outside the bounds of how I think constraints were
originally intended to be used.  There isn't a bright line drawn,
but from the constraint package javadoc: "At each remote call through
a proxy, the proxy implementation is responsible for using communication
mechanisms that satisfy the client's constraints."

I'm curious if you share any concerns here?

- Bob