river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: SourceAliveRemoteEvent Part II
Date Wed, 06 Jun 2007 13:52:05 GMT
Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> Mark Brouwer wrote:
>> 2) do you think it is essential a client must be able to find out
>>    whether an event producer is able to deliver events at all;
>
> In my industry we call these "health check" events.  At regular, known
> intervals, a remote field device, which is using a "Report by Exception"
> event delivery instead of a "poll at interval" discovery model, will
> send it current state to the listeners/subscribers.

I know you mentioned this the last time. I'm curious whether the "health
check" event contains other data or is it just the equivalent of "I have
nothing to report besides the fact I'm still alive."

The reason for asking is that when it contains application specific data
a SARE as currently specified won't do much good as it assumes it is
nothing more than "I have nothing to report besides the fact I'm still
alive.", except maybe for the event sequence number for checking whether
you missed an event.
--
Mark