river-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From John McClain <John.McCl...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Accept the Starter Kit Contribution from Sun Microsystems
Date Sat, 02 Jun 2007 22:27:21 GMT
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> On 6/2/07, Jim Hurley <Jim.Hurley@sun.com> wrote:
>> Sorry for the delay in responding.
>> Thanks Jukka --  the plan is to bring in the code as is
>> and make the changes you described (essentially
>> com.sun.* --> org.apache.river.*).
>> Question, though -- is it required that we make that
>> change before we make an initial release?
> You wouldn't be the first one asking to keep a namespace for
> compatibility sake, see
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/WicketProposal. However, the recent
> beta from the Wicket guys is in the org.apache.wicket namespace.
> I'm not sure if there are any stringent and formal rules from the ASF,
> but indeed I would be very reluctant in releasing Apache code under a
> non-Apache namespace, unless packages are carved in stone by an
> implemented standard (such as javax.xml and, I assume, net.jini)

For the com.sun.jini classes I think it is not a question of "if" the 
they will be moved to the org.apache.river name space, but "when". I 
think there was some notion that there was value in making one (or two?, 
my memory is fuzzy) release with com.sun.jini name space to ease the 
transition and make it straightforward for people to integrate any delta 
they have made against the last release of Sun's Jini starter kit.

View raw message