river-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Warres <...@acinion.com>
Subject Re: Extending semantics for DynamicPolicy
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 18:37:08 GMT
Quoting Mark Brouwer <mark.brouwer@cheiron.org>:

> However there is one hurdle I can't seem to take [1] and that is
> dynamically assigning permissions the the protection domains associated
> with the class loaders due to the fact that Dynamicpolicy doesn't
> provide a method in which you could pass in a class loader, all methods
> take a class as argument. The funny thing is though that the semantics
> for this methods make it clear the permissions are really assigned to
> the protection domains associated with the class loader [2] for the
> class passed in. The actual DynamicPolicy provider implementation also
> indicates that there seems to be no reason why the DynamicPolicy
> interface can't support passing in a class loader.

FWIW, the API was fashioned this way since a caller might not have permission
to obtain the class loader of the class to which it wished to grant
permissions.  IIRC, I don't think there was anything intrinsically wrong with
passing in a class loader directly--there simply wasn't any use case at the
time to justify an additional method.

-Mike