river-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Short term plan forward... (proposal)
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 12:13:14 GMT
Hi,

On 5/23/07, Mark Brouwer <mark.brouwer@cheiron.org> wrote:
> I believe the questions of Bob are still unanswered so probably it is
> best to have people who want to have a release out of the door ASAP
> provide an answer for them and make a task of the things to be done for
> the first release and then have a vote about it.

Exactly. There's nothing stopping people from making a release as soon
as the code has landed in svn. Unlike code changes, a release can't be
vetoed on technical grounds. The only things you need for a release
are that you meet the Apache legal and branding policies and that you
have at least three PMC members voting +1 on the release. A release
can also be prepared in parallel with other development work.

> I don't know whether a vote is normal in this case but no doubt our mentors
> or somebody more acquainted with the process here will help us out with that.

The only required vote is on accepting a release candidate. The
typical process is for someone to step up as the release manager and
propose a release plan that outlines what needs to be done for the
release. The release plan is a good opportunity to discuss and build
consensus, but there's no need to formally vote on it.

BR,

Jukka Zitting