river-dev mailing list archives

From Nigel Daley <nda...@mac.com>
Subject Re: Short term plan forward... (proposal)
Date Tue, 22 May 2007 05:25:42 GMT

On May 21, 2007, at 3:39 PM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> Jim Hurley wrote:
>> Hi all-
>> Just wanted to propose a short term conceptual plan
>> forward for Apache River, and see if we're in sync.
>
> Thanks for starting this Jim. Below some of my initial thoughts on
> your
> ideas.
>
>> Once we get the source accepted and contributed
>> to the project (hopefully this week!)...  I'd like to propose
>> that we immediately start working on a release (v0.1).  This will
>> not only help us understand the paces of getting a release
>> out through Apache, but also provide a release to the Community
>> from Apache.  To focus on getting a release out, the initial work
>> would be targeted at integration stuff (for example, getting
>> Service UI
>> integrated) and some documentation rather than on very many
>> bug fixes or rfes.
>> Once we accomplish that, we can turn our focus towards another
>> near term release (v0.2) which could include additional bug fixes
>> and smaller rfes as well as any cleanup we learn from getting
>> the v0.1 release out. This would not only provide an added value
>> release out to the Community, but also give us further experience
>> and additional momentum of an active project moving forward.

+1 to Jim's suggestions

> I find v0.1 not ambitious enough. I think it is important to do some
> bug-fixes and RFEs that have been completed and lingering around for a
> very long time in some peoples workspaces. Just to release so most
> people can sit on the sideline watching v0.1 being released is not
> that
> interesting to me (I also want to get rid of a lot of fixes and small
> RFEs I've been carrying for too long).

I think we should start small so we can work through all the other
issues of getting a first release out the door.  For instance, the
bug fixes you and others want to commit, do they need unit tests?
written for which harness/framework?  who's going to run them?  do
the bug fixes need code review?  from who?  following what
guidelines?  who's going to run all the other tests?  under which
configurations?

IMO, if release 0.1 goes smoothly, then a more ambitious 0.2 could
follow on very quickly.

Cheers,
Nige