river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>
Subject Re: [BUG] NPE in com.sun.jini.jeri.internal.runtime.SelectionManager$SelectLoop
Date Fri, 11 May 2007 16:27:54 GMT
Peter Jones wrote:
> With the current implementation-- and BTW on much older multiprocessor
> hardware (this was quite a while ago)-- we did not see such a benefit.
> Of course, other processors would be busy making or dispatching remote
> invocations, including the higher-level marshalling and unmarshalling
> of all of that data.

Contention for resources that is not immediately visible can make extra threads
seem non-beneficial too.  Given the experiences and examples that Doug Lea and
company have illustrated and JVM changes to better manage locking, it might be
interesting to run such tests on newer JVMs to see what's possible now.

Gregg Wonderly