river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: Committing ServiceUI
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 11:32:22 GMT
Dan Creswell wrote:

>> 1) I propose them to be merged (at least for the time being).
>>

> Why do you want to merge them?  What are the benefits and the costs?
> How might this be linked to how we ship stuff in the future?

Hi Dan,

The code contribution of ServiceUI is only the source and some
package.html files, no build files, no specifications, no test
framework. So if we want to work on them it is probably easier to
include them as part of the source tree of the JTSK. That is for the
benefits ;-) the cost I haven't thought of.

I think you know I'm was all for repackaging the JTSK code as I have
expressed in the past, although there was one blunt remark of Bob that
made me thinking for a while:

"Decomposing the starter kit into a bunch of independent distributions
with independent releases is an utter waste of time and will just
complicate life, IMO. (-17) I'd much rather see our (limited) energy
spent on adding useful fixes and functionality."

And while there will be a day Bob is proven all wrong, I must agree that
at this point in time where we have no certainty about the number of
helping hands I would rather go for the pragmatic approach of just going
forward ASAP without to much work up-front.

So for now I turned to the dark side, but in my opinion I expressed "at
least for the time being". And as an aside, maybe ServiceUI is a good
API to have as part of the Platform haven't made up my mind about that
one yet.
--
Mark