river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: Committing ServiceUI
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 09:31:44 GMT
Gregg Wonderly wrote:
> Bob Scheifler wrote:
>>> 1) Are we going to put the ServiceUI code in the same branch as the JTSK
>>>    code, effectively merging the JTSK project and the ServiceUI project.
>>

>> Fine with me.
>>
>>> 2) If we are going to merge we should have a uniform way of dealing with
>>>    indentation otherwise it will get messy.
>>

>> You won't find 100% consistent style within the JTSK code.
>>
>> We should get the initial code in as-is without any changes first.
>
> I started the discussion about reformatting code, so let me add another
> thought.  I'm interested in being able to leave my editor configuration
> in my IDE alone and be able to make changes and get reasonable diffs
> against the river project.
>
> If we are going to change to some standard, perhaps it would be best to
> find an indentations engine which uses a configuration file, and then
> use that to change the indenttation appropriately.  Then, post that
> configuration file on the river SVN or somewhere accessible so that
> others can run it against their sources and hopefully end up with a
> common base from a diffs perspective.

Hi Gregg,

IMHO extra pre/post processing steps result in more troubles, or it
should be integrated as part of the build process. I was a long time
supporter of a commercial indentation program (the free ones well they
...) but with each new language feature something changed in a way that
all the formatting started to change too and even bug-fixes had this
effect sometimes.

The only thing what works is a simple uniform style, and converting a
tab to 8 spaces has no effect on the current formatting effective for
the JTSK code.

BTW Gregg do you or anyone else have an opinion about ServiceUI in the
same branch as the JTSK, effectively merging the two.
--
Mark