river-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: JIRA committers
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 18:18:07 GMT

On Mar 1, 2007, at 7:52 AM, Craig L Russell wrote:

> Hi Geir,

>>> Yes, the initial committers and mentors are PPMC members. I have
>>> not seen any special privilege in JIRA for the PMC project role.
>>> So I don't think it really matters whether they are assigned that
>>> role or not.
>>
>> This actually depends on how the project works, actually.  There's
>> no hard and fast rule that dictates the initial committer list ==
>> PPMC
>
> Thanks for pointing that out. This is a guideline, not a rule. From
> http://incubator.apache.org/guides/ppmc.html
>
> "The Podling Project Management Committee (PPMC) helps a Podling
> learn how to govern itself. It works like a PMC but reports to the
> Incubator PMC instead of to the ASF Board. Initially, it is
> composed of the Podling's mentors and initial committers. The PPMC
> is directly responsible for the oversight of the podling and it
> also decides who to add as a PPMC member."

I'm one commit away from changing that "guideline".  In which case
you'd have to find a good reason not to adopt the result, right? :)

> So even though it's not a rule, I expect that the podling would
> have to have some good reason not to adopt it.

Because there's a whole context that it assumes, that every person
that managed to scratch their name onto the wiki is an "initial
committer", one that I personally don't like.  I think that the
people who show interest from that list should be initial committers,
with a low bar, and the mentors start adding to the PPMC based on
behavior.

But this is supposedly a settled issue around here, so there's no
point discussing, I guess.

geir