river-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Apache hardware (Was: How to start from here?)
Date Sat, 31 Mar 2007 12:01:40 GMT
Hi,

On 1/6/07, Nigel Daley <ndaley@mac.com> wrote:
> Geir, what hardware to we have available from Apache on which to run
> builds and tests?  How do other teams handle testing resources?

The ASF has a Sun Fire V40z server that many projects use for nightly
builds, continuous integration tests, and other automated processes.
The server is partitioned into a number of Solaris zones, one for each
project. See http://www.apache.org/dev/solaris-zones.html for more
details.

The zones server is definitely not up to running extensive test suites
like the 300k tests/100 machines/2 weeks example you mentioned, but it
should be quite enough for running at least standard nightly builds
and unit tests for River.

On 1/8/07, Jim Hurley <Jim.Hurley@sun.com> wrote:
> We (Sun) have some testing/hardware resources that we
> could probably contribute (it would be more of a short
> term vs. long term thing, though).  For example, if we (Apache
> River) were to complete some bug fixes/rfes in the near term,
> Sun might be able to do some testing to help get out a
> release.

Sounds good to me. The ASF infrastructure team probably isn't too
interested in managing extensive test environments, so it's actually
better if more complex test suites are run on external machinery. It
would be nice if related test scripts and setup documentation were
made available so that other people with enough hardware could
recreate the tests.

BR,

Jukka Zitting