river-dev mailing list archives

From "Jukka Zitting" <jukka.zitt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: committers are all listed
Date Fri, 30 Mar 2007 06:17:48 GMT
Hi,

On 3/29/07, Jim Hurley <Jim.Hurley@sun.com> wrote:
> On Mar 29, 2007, at 4:20 AM, Jukka Zitting wrote:
> > This shouldn't be blocked by administrational issues in setting up the
> > committership and the PPMC.
> [...]
> I'm unclear on your last statement.  Doesn't the PPMC make the final
> decision on things such as accepting code contributions?  Don't we,
> therefore, need the PPMC setup to accomplishment accepting
> the code?

Looking at the records it seems that the River PPMC is still just the
three mentors, but that doesn't stop the community from voting to
accept the codebase. Only the PPMC members have binding votes, but at
least to me also any non-binding -1 vote with a reasonable rationale
would be enough to veto the motion until better consensus is reached.

Of course, if anyone feels strongly that they should have a binding
vote instead of a non-binding one in this vote, please let me know and
I'll withdraw the vote until the PPMC has been updated.

> We've been living under the assumption that the initial committers
> and PPMC need to be setup as Step #1 so we could proceed then
> proceed with accepting the code (and then, obviously, working on
> the code).

It probably would be cleaner if you all had already been given commit
access and made PPMC members by now, but the current status shouldn't
block things as long as there's wide consensus that the contribution
should be accepted. Things get trickier if there isn't consensus, in
which case the actual composition of the PPMC would be more important.

> All of the initial committers from the Proposal have submitted ICLAs...
> so can't we just get them administratively setup as committers and
> on the PPMC and really be ready to move forward?

+1, everything seems to be in place for that.

BR,

Jukka Zitting