river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: Integrity.NO constraint results in selection of X500Provider instances
Date Wed, 28 Mar 2007 09:22:39 GMT
Vinod Johnson - Sun Microsystems wrote:

> This may just be a logging bug. If you happen to be invoking
> DiscvoeryV2.decodeMulticastAnnouncement with delayConstraintCheck set to
> true, this enables you to delay constraint checking until a more
> opportune time. This feature is currently used in LookupDiscovery (see
> http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4867820 for more
> information on this). It looks like when this feature was added, the
> logging message was not updated to reflect the fact that constraint
> checking has been delayed.
>
> If you happen to be using LookupDiscovery, you should see a later
> logging message from LookupDiscovery (at HANDLED level) - "exception
> decoding multicast announcement", with the associated exception. This is
> the point at which the constraint check is actually done.

Hi Vinod,

You are probably right. I went through the log files and I found *no*
HANDLED messages that indicated a failure, but that turned out to be
logical as I only enabled logging for com.sun.jini.discovery. I didn't
configure the loggers for LookupDiscovery. It might be helpful to log
these kind of failures also at the FAILED level for the Discovery
implementations, that way we have a central point for all discovery
related 'logging' which seems to me more helpful than tracing the
entities calling the various Discovery methods, what do you think?

BTW you filed an issue for the 'confusing logging' and assigned it to
yourself, given the fair number of improvements (context information) I
already made in the discovery related code do you mind if I assign that
issue to myself to prevent from extra work to resolve your code and mine
code in the future.

In case the full constraints verification is delayed the log message
will be appended with ", full constraints checking has been delayed" but
if you now a better description for what is actually happening please
let me know.
--
Mark