river-dev mailing list archives

From Vinod Johnson - Sun Microsystems <Thomas.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Integrity.NO constraint results in selection of X500Provider instances
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 19:41:34 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:
> When I configure Integrity.NO for discovery the logging (see below)
> reveals that the SHA1withDSA client provider is used while according to
> DJ.3.2 this provider supports "integrity protection of multicast request
> and announcement packet contents, and sender authentication".
>
> 27-Mar-2007 11:40:17 com.sun.jini.discovery.DiscoveryV2
>     decodeMulticastAnnouncement (oid=1.3.6.1.4.12543.2.0,
>                                  instance=master)
> FINEST: decoded MulticastAnnouncement[0, polaris:8888, [],
>         0bae0e43-cb40-4d98-81aa-9b61d45c038d] using
>         com.sun.jini.discovery.x500.sha1withdsa.Client@1ffccd6,
>         InvocationConstraints[reqs: {Integrity.NO}, prefs: {}]
>
> To me it seems that Integrity.NO as constraint can't be fulfilled by
> this provider and therefore should have failed. Is my reasoning correct
> or is there language that allows the above to happen.
This may just be a logging bug. If you happen to be invoking
DiscvoeryV2.decodeMulticastAnnouncement with delayConstraintCheck set to
true, this enables you to delay constraint checking until a more
opportune time. This feature is currently used in LookupDiscovery (see
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4867820 for more
information on this). It looks like when this feature was added, the
logging message was not updated to reflect the fact that constraint
checking has been delayed.

If you happen to be using LookupDiscovery, you should see a later
logging message from LookupDiscovery (at HANDLED level) - "exception
decoding multicast announcement", with the associated exception. This is
the point at which the constraint check is actually done.
--
- vinod