river-dev mailing list archives

From "Jeff Ramsdale" <jeff.ramsd...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: thoughts on River project organization...
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 05:17:20 GMT
Back when we used typewriters we were told to put two spaces between
the period at the end of one sentence and the first character of the
next. This was in order to add visual separation for readability. With
the advent of desktop computers most people continued to put two
spaces even though this actually removed the software's ability to
fully and accurately manage the distance between that period and the
following character.

Most of us use modern IDEs these days. Regardless of historical
precedent concerning spaces the use of tabs provides greater
flexibility within our tools. It's faster to navigate and allows every
user to display their preferred amount of indentation.

Similarly, 80 column line length is just goofy given screen
real-estate these days. I prefer 120. It's time to update the

Jeff