river-dev mailing list archives

From "Rawlings, Bill A" <bill.a.rawli...@lmco.com>
Subject RE: Drowning in the River
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 16:05:17 GMT
I'm all for coding standards, I for one, HATE for parentheses to be like
this:

for(int i = 0; i < max; i++) {

}

But I can live with it.  Since there are inherent coding standards in
Java already, I suggest we just adopt a simple coding standard like the
Ambysoft Coding Standard, and then get on with this River thingie.

http://www.ambysoft.com/essays/javaCodingStandards.html

BAR

-----Original Message-----
From: Gregg Wonderly [mailto:gregg@wonderly.org]
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 8:15 AM
To: river-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Drowning in the River

Dan Creswell wrote:
> The river-dev list is full of minutae - discussion of coding
standards,
> issues on nitty gritty bits of behaviour around locking or
> preferred-lists or when we might get the code drop or testing or
> checkins.  But, I don't care about any of this stuff, why?  Because
it's
> irrelevant.
>
> It has no importance whatsoever in the big picture which comes down
to:

> WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WITH RIVER?

And that question is truely the most important to me.  The coding
standards
issue, is something I find to be very important.  I have several changes
to the
JTSK regarding logging and other things which might help reduce the
"friction"
for new users.  I want to be able to create "diffs" for that stuff and
get those
up for review.  I also need to be able to take the initial influx of bug
fixes
and integrate those into my source base.  It will be a bit of time
before I can
separate myself from my source base given what I have dependencies on
within it.

Ultimately, I'm trying to ask everyone to be on the same road to getting
started
so that we can get this ball rolling.

One thing I do have to ask, is why individual, besides sun, could not
have made
the initial code contribution from the Apache licensed source tree so
that we
wouldn't have to wait for the Sun lawyers and other business issues to
be resolved?

Gregg Wonderly