river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Responsibilities of the PPMC
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 22:04:08 GMT

On Feb 19, 2007, at 10:27 AM, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>> I started with something like this, but don't like the way it
>> sounded:
>>
>> It should be a goal of a project to have all committers
>> participate in the PPMC. A committer who expresses interest in the
>> governance of the project should ask to become part of the PPMC.
>> Membership in the PPMC should be gated by continued commitment to
>> the project and an expressed interest in PPMC membership.
>
> I don't like that either - i don't like the idea of having people
> ask, because then there's the uncomfortable part of saying "no".
> I'd much rather encourage (P)PMCs to take an *active* role in this
> kind of community development, rather than re-active, which is what
> you are proposing.

Actually I'm copying verbatim from another discussion on the
incubator, that I naively thought was consensus -- turned out to be
just a well-argumented position from another incubator member.

> maybe I'm naive - I want to see Apache communities develop a sense
> of independent identity and community, and that actually takes
> committment and effort by those participating.

I agree. I'll come up with another version of the PPMC proposal and
run it by the general list again.

Thanks for all your comments. They give me a much better appreciation
for what we're looking for.

Craig

Craig Russell
DB PMC