river-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: Responsibilities of the PPMC
Date Fri, 16 Feb 2007 09:23:35 GMT

On Feb 16, 2007, at 2:46 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> Can someone with a thorough understanding of the ASF tell whether
> there
> are projects that keep a distinction between committers and PMC
> members,
> if so for what reasons and for what kind of projects might it be
> better
> to maintain this separation.

All projects do in the sense that there *is* a difference between
committers and PMC members.  A PMC member has a binding, legal vote
on project issues (like releases) and the committer doesn't.  PMC
members, by definition, are responsible for oversight over the whole
project, whereas a committer technically is responsible for the
commits they make.

There are different styles of how projects do this.  Some keep the
bar somewhat low for committership and then over a period of time, a
few months (?) watch the committers behavior and if "compatible" (as
defined by that PMC) with the community, offer that person PMC
membership.  Others keep a higher bar for committership, and then
offer PMC quicker.  This is something this community has to decide.

My personal taste lately is a reasonably high bar for commit to
ensure working social and technical compatibility, and then faster PMC.

I also believe that all committers should eventually be on the PMC.
You will have cases where people choose to not be - they don't have
time, for example.  But those tend to be exceptions, dictated by life
experiences ("I'm going to have a baby next week, and won't have the
time.")

> I have very mixed feelings with regard to this subject and no
> experience
> at all, but I realize that as soon as all the committers are PMC
> members
> and making committer == PMC member turns out to be a mistake it is
> likely too late to correct it.

A PMC can always get rid of someone if there is a problem, but it has
to be for a good reason, and really, really is an unpleasant
experience. :)

> Please enlighten me :-)

Hope that helped.  In practice, it works well - in a project with
active social interaction, you can usually figure out problems before
they happen, and people tend to be self-selecting.  IOW, if I'm a
PITA to work with, we're going to probably have friction from the get-
go, and it won't be fun for anyone, including me, and therefore I
probably won't hang around anyway.  We're all volunteers :)

geir