river-dev mailing list archives

From "Rollo, Dan" <DRo...@ETS.ORG>
Subject RE: thoughts on River project organization...
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 16:48:33 GMT
Just to avoid easy consensus...

I prefer no tabs in source code, as it leads to really variable
indentations depending on one's editor. Having to customize your editor
settings according to the tab size of a given project just to get
If/else brackets to line up is not fun. At least with "no tabs", the
indent formatting is always consistent when opened in any editor.

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: Jeff Ramsdale [mailto:jeff.ramsdale@gmail.com]
Sent: Monday, February 05, 2007 12:17 AM
To: river-dev@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: thoughts on River project organization...

Back when we used typewriters we were told to put two spaces between the
period at the end of one sentence and the first character of the next.
This was in order to add visual separation for readability. With the
advent of desktop computers most people continued to put two spaces even
though this actually removed the software's ability to fully and
accurately manage the distance between that period and the following
character.

Most of us use modern IDEs these days. Regardless of historical
precedent concerning spaces the use of tabs provides greater flexibility
within our tools. It's faster to navigate and allows every user to
display their preferred amount of indentation.

Similarly, 80 column line length is just goofy given screen real-estate
these days. I prefer 120. It's time to update the "standards." That
said, I'll go with the group consensus. :-)

Jeff

> Tabs?
>
> In source?
>
> geir

This e-mail and any files transmitted with it may contain privileged or confidential information.
It is solely for use by the individual for whom it is intended, even if addressed incorrectly.
If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender; do not disclose, copy, distribute,
or take any action in reliance on the contents of this information; and delete it from
your system. Any other use of this e-mail is prohibited.

Thank you for your compliance.