river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Responsibilities of the PPMC
Date Mon, 19 Feb 2007 16:41:55 GMT

On Feb 18, 2007, at 6:40 PM, John McClain wrote:

> I think "reasonably high bar for commit to ensure working social
> and technical compatibility, and then faster PMC" is a reasonable
> place to start (understanding that it may well be imposable to
> change once we start....)

According to ASF policy, committership and PMC membership are
independent. The suggestion has been made that a good policy for a
PMC (and by extension a PPMC) is to have all committers who have the
time to do so to become members of the PMC as well.

Geir expresses a different opinion, if I'm reading correctly. He
suggests that committers not become PMC at the same time but later
("faster PMC"). I'd like to understand what extra demonstration of
commitment a committer should have in order to become a member of
PMC. To me, the relatively high bar of committer plus willingness to
serve should be sufficient.

Did I capture the essence of the distinction, Geir?

Craig

> I think "initial committer list == initial PPMC" is fine too.
>
> Jim Hurley wrote:
>> I am +1 for this position/proposal.  Can others on the list
>> please state your opinion (I think this will be a healthy
>> activity for us).
>> Geir - I am assuming that we're going to make
>> initial committer list == initial PPMC, though.  Cool
>> with that?
>> thanks -Jim

>>> But note that the bar isn't really that high overall - to me it's
>>> more about social compatibility than technical prowess, because
>>> someone who understands their limits, works well with others, and
>>> is willing to learn is a treasure :)
>>>
>>> geir

Craig Russell
408 276-5638 mailto:Craig.Russell@sun.com