river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: Drowning in the River
Date Tue, 06 Feb 2007 15:14:36 GMT
Dan Creswell wrote:
> The river-dev list is full of minutae - discussion of coding standards,
> issues on nitty gritty bits of behaviour around locking or
> preferred-lists or when we might get the code drop or testing or
> checkins.  But, I don't care about any of this stuff, why?  Because it's
> irrelevant.
>
> It has no importance whatsoever in the big picture which comes down to:
>
> WHAT ARE WE GONNA DO WITH RIVER?

And that question is truely the most important to me.  The coding standards
issue, is something I find to be very important.  I have several changes to the
JTSK regarding logging and other things which might help reduce the "friction"
for new users.  I want to be able to create "diffs" for that stuff and get those
up for review.  I also need to be able to take the initial influx of bug fixes
and integrate those into my source base.  It will be a bit of time before I can
separate myself from my source base given what I have dependencies on within it.

Ultimately, I'm trying to ask everyone to be on the same road to getting started
so that we can get this ball rolling.

One thing I do have to ask, is why individual, besides sun, could not have made
the initial code contribution from the Apache licensed source tree so that we
wouldn't have to wait for the Sun lawyers and other business issues to be resolved?

Gregg Wonderly