river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <ge...@cox.net>
Subject Re: thoughts on River project organization...
Date Mon, 05 Feb 2007 15:11:42 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Jeff Ramsdale wrote:
>
>> Similarly, 80 column line length is just goofy given screen
>> real-estate these days. I prefer 120. It's time to update the
>> "standards." That said, I'll go with the group consensus. :-)
>

> Go wash your mouth Jeff, anybody that performs three-way merges on a
> regular basis will tell you 80 column width still rulezzzzz.

When I'm doing three way merges, I reformat the affected lines as needed to make
sense of what is there.  Typically though, I don't have too many three way
merges because we try hard to keep multiple people from working in the same
areas of files.

When you have to do it though, there are certainly many characteristics of the
file which create issues for making the merge go fast and correctly.

Gregg Wonderly