river-dev mailing list archives

From Dan Creswell <...@dcrdev.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: thoughts on River project organization...
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:56:13 GMT
Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Dan Creswell wrote:
>
>> -1
>>
>> IMHO, we have a strong testing tradition that has lead to quality
>> releases.  The last thing we need is for an apparent simple first
>> release to suffer an attendant reduction in quality.
>
> I think you have misinterpreted my words Dan. Never did I say we should
> produce a release that was not tested. All I said is that I think that
> people should be able to start with working on issues and even checking
> in code in SVN when it takes too long to setup the complete test
> infrastructure.

In which case, I don't think I misunderstood your words at all! :)

If the problem is sorting the testing infrastructure that's where we put
our effort.  It's got to be done at some point and the sooner the better.

For me it goes hand in hand with nightly builds and other things to
check that we're not gradually reducing the codebase to a pile of poop.

Linus has battled with this issue many a time, attempting to force
developers to focus on bug-fixing and testing because they'd rather
checkin more code (I'm not accusing you of such bad behaviour).

Dan.