river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: thoughts on River project organization...
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 14:04:45 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> Tabs?
>
> In source?

Well, for 20 years I've used tabs only, and worked in organizations, large at
that, where tabs only was the rule so that people could change the indentation
levels.  One of the primary reasons, was reduction in disk space because it was
the 5ESS source tree, the largest in the world at that time.  Today (and in this
project) total disk consumption is not an issue.  I'm not aware of any widely
used editor which can't be configured to do this exactly right.  Doing all
spaces, might be the other choice.

I guess it really depends on what you do every day.  Everyday, I use tabs only.
  It makes it very fast to move from indentation level to indentation level
using the cursor keys (as Mark alluded to).

I won't try and convince everyone that tabs are better.  I'll stop here and just
suggest that either all spaces or all tabs would be better than a mixture.

Gregg Wonderly