river-dev mailing list archives

From Gregg Wonderly <gr...@wonderly.org>
Subject Re: thoughts on River project organization...
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 04:59:44 GMT
Bill Venners wrote:
> Hi Gregg,
>
> You realize of course this means war. I'm all for a style standard,  so
> long as it is 4 *spaces* for each level of indentation.
>
> Actually, I usually have no problem adapting to whatever the style is
> of the project I'm working on, but at home, at Artima, we use four
> spaces to indent Java.

War it is :-)  I've always used tabs because that was the recommended style that
I learned at college from someone who as involved in a multi-content open source
project with 10 or so contributors.  Some liked 4 char spacing, some 3 or even
2.  So if everyone used tabs, then they could configure their editor to expand
to what made sense.

I could live with all spaces, but the JTSK source is mixed with lines of all
spaces, all tabs and mixed spaces and tabs.  So it's difficult to look at unless
you reconfigure you editor to use 8 char expansion of tabs.  It's been a long
time since I've encountered sources with this kind of indentation, so it really
surprised me, and to some degree it's not a big deal, but I am compelled to
realign the indentation so that I can read it with 4 char tabstops, rather than
change all of the settings on the IDE as I switch between JTSK source and my
sources while debugging or developing.

I don't really want to turn this into a big ordeal, I just think that if there
is some agreement, doing this sometime soon would create a much easier to work
with source base, especially for code trollers like me.

Gregg Wonderly