river-dev mailing list archives

From "Herrick, Mike" <Mike.Herr...@LibertyMutual.com>
Subject Apache River Roadmap
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 00:44:39 GMT
Hi,

I'm a Jini/JavaSpaces newbie.

I've been observing a bit on this list and am quite excited about the
potential of Apache River.

I lived through years of J2EE, SOA, ESBs, etc. and could have lived
through years of Jini/JavaSpaces - this saddens me.

I view Apache River as the second (and likely final) chance at taking
Jini/JavaSpaces mainstream. I saw somewhere on this list someone
question if this was even a goal. Seems rather insane to me for it NOT
to be the goal. Why else did you torture yourselves getting legal
approval from Sun for Apache 2 license, getting accepted as a podling
etc.? There is a lot of buzz around Jini/JavaSpaces right now - people
are watching and the clock is tick tick ticking.

I mean no offense, I know there are issues being worked out with getting
the code free and clear etc., but how about making a goal of having a
DRAFT Road Map for year 1 in say 2 weeks from now? Not everyone has to
agree, but something - a first rattle out of the gate. Something here
other than what is there now:
http://incubator.apache.org/river/roadmap.html

Step 1: March 1 - Working build with Apache River package names (or
something)

As I consider investing in Jini/JavaSpaces the trend line of Apache
River is *very* important to me. I'm happy to help a little as learn
more, but I have no idea where to start.

Mike
http://fuzzypanic.blogspot.com/