river-dev mailing list archives

From Greg Trasuk <tras...@stratuscom.com>
Subject Re: Apache River Roadmap
Date Fri, 09 Feb 2007 05:08:57 GMT
Hi Mike:

	Welcome to Jini/River.  Please see comments and questions below.

Cheers,

Greg.

On Thu, 2007-02-08 at 19:44, Herrick, Mike wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm a Jini/JavaSpaces newbie.
>
> I've been observing a bit on this list and am quite excited about the
> potential of Apache River.
>
> I lived through years of J2EE, SOA, ESBs, etc. and could have lived
> through years of Jini/JavaSpaces - this saddens me.
>
> I view Apache River as the second (and likely final) chance at taking
I don't know, Java's at 5, and who remembers Windows 1, 2, or 3.0?

> Jini/JavaSpaces mainstream. I saw somewhere on this list someone
> question if this was even a goal. Seems rather insane to me for it NOT
> to be the goal. Why else did you torture yourselves getting legal
> approval from Sun for Apache 2 license, getting accepted as a podling
> etc.? There is a lot of buzz around Jini/JavaSpaces right now - people
> are watching and the clock is tick tick ticking.

I think the question is whether River is meant to be input or output,
i.e. should River's deliverables be usable to a casual corporate
developer, or is the project a toolkit that will be used by others
(probably container developers, but I'm biased) to build deliverables
that casual users will use?  I suspect we all agree that Jini/Javaspaces
is a better alternative to SOA/ESB/etc (at least for many use cases), so
we ought to sell it to the mainstream.  It's just a question of how to
go about it.  There are differences of opinion out there.

> I mean no offense, I know there are issues being worked out with getting
> the code free and clear etc., but how about making a goal of having a
> DRAFT Road Map for year 1 in say 2 weeks from now? Not everyone has to
> agree, but something - a first rattle out of the gate. Something here
> other than what is there now:
> http://incubator.apache.org/river/roadmap.html
>
> Step 1: March 1 - Working build with Apache River package names (or
> something)

So long as you're here, could you suggest a step 2?

I'm actually not being facetious, I'd like to know the newcomer's
perspective on (1) what is it that draws you to Jini, and (2) what needs
to be easier to adopt.

--
Greg Trasuk, President
http://stratuscom.com