river-dev mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Source drop and bug database
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 19:15:20 GMT

On Jan 4, 2007, at 10:23 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> This also raises a question, how are we going to manage all this. From
> SVN I get the impression the website is a separate branch in the
> repository, but do we have to check-in all 'subprojects' into one
> trunk.

The way I use the term, a branch is a copy of a trunk that has the
same content structure and much of the same contents, with some
changes here and there. So if you want to work on a disruptive
feature, you can branch the trunk, iterate until it all works,
leaving the trunk buildable, and after the branch is complete, merge
it to the trunk. You can then delete the branch if you have no
further use for it.

You can also branch for a release. Development continues on the trunk
and changes needed to stabilize the release are checked into the
branch. Also, artifacts are changed in the branch to reflect the
release number of the release. After release, both branch and trunk
continue to exist.

> In the end I hope the River project becomes a TLP with various
> subprojects such as core, lus implementation, javaspaces
> implementation,
> etc.. Each with their own release schedule. Dumping everything in one
> trunk doesn't seem very handy to me, but as I already mentioned I'm an
> SVN infant so maybe this works out well. Anyone?

I don't think it matters much whether you have a structure like:

1)
trunk/
   core/
   javaspaces/
   lus

or

2)
core/
   trunk/
javaspaces/
   trunk/
lus/
   trunk/

If you release a number of related things together, that argues for a
common trunk, as 1).

If the projects are truly separate in release schedules, that argues
for separate high level projects, as 2). It's easy to release one
project at a time but harder to coordinate releasing multiple
projects simultaneously.

Craig
> --
> Mark