river-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: new site added to SVN and published
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 14:00:19 GMT

On Jan 3, 2007, at 8:51 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

>>> Maybe it is because I have to get acquainted with your way of
>>> writing
>>> Geir ;-), but from the above I can't make up whether you think
>>> committers can hack around without opening a JIRA issue,
>> yes, committers can commit code w/o opening a JIRA issue.
>
> I disagree. For cheiron.org I do most of the work myself, but
> nevertheless anything substantial is going through JIRA if it was only
> to keep track of things done for the release notes. Especially when
> you
> already have a stable codebase gradually improving and getting
> bug-fixed. But I admit with complete new projects I tend to be less
> bureaucratic.

Do you mean

a) you make all the changes, make a patch, submit it to JIRA,
download the patch, apply the patch to a fresh tree, and then commit

b) note changes in JIRA afterwards

c) something else?

I think b) is fine, if you are simply looking for a change tracking
tool, although if you build a decent commit message discipline into
the community, you can also just ask SVN what changed between
releases...  and that should be far more accurate.

>> JIRA is great for tracking, but there are things to be cautious of
>> -  I've experienced technical discussion moving into the JIRA
>> itself, which I think is not good, because it loses the bigger
>> audience (IMO).  I hate having to read JIRA discussions on the
>> JIRA-generated emails, and it makes it hard to participate offline
>> (unlike email) or search (unlike email...)
>
> I'm aware of that but in case of tasks to be implemented somewhere in
> the future I like to see any conclusions of discussion in JIRA versus
> digging them from my email archive.

That's fine - that's a good use of JIRA.  But you can simply just put
a URL to the mail archive in the JIRA...  easy to find later.

geir