river-dev mailing list archives

From Jim Hurley <Jim.Hur...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Source drop and bug database
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 13:49:00 GMT
Hi Mark-

Thanks for getting this discussion going.

On Jan 4, 2007, at 4:13 AM, Mark Brouwer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> The first step before we really can get started is the initial source
> drop by Sun and Artima. While it feels rude to initiate this by me, I
> think it is worth having a discussion about what gets dropped. I hope,
> but please correct me if I'm wrong, the fastest way to get this
> done is
> by stating my opinion as a proposal.
>
> Below you will find my proposal as to what I would like to see become
> the baseline from where the River project should start following the
> roadmap we have to craft.

We did have to touch on this in our project proposal (see:
<http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/RiverProposal>, "(2) identify
the initial source from with the project is to be populated". We
had identified the Starter Kit (and link to the latest published
version). Although we did not explicitly state v2.1, it was certainly
meant to be implied that it would be the latest published version.

We also identified ServiceUI and a link to the latest published
version (v1.1a).

Finally, we identified the QATests project, which contained the
tests and harness we used for testing releases of the Starter Kit.

> 1) ServiceUI version 1.1a
>
> 2) Outstanding issues, if any, against ServiceUI version 1.1a

Bill - if you have any substantive issues (logged, or just scribbled
on a notepad), I agree that it would be good to seed the incubator
project JIRA with them.

> 3) JTSK code version 2.1.1 [1], all parts which Sun can transfer to
> the
>    ASF, even the code we will likely remove [2] according to the
> roadmap
>
> 4) Outstanding issues against JTSK version 2.1.1

I'm not sure of the logistics for getting issues moved from our
internal system to JIRA, but it's something we'll need to look
at relatively soon. We certainly want and expect to get the major
issues we have logged moved over.

> [1] my main motivation for bringing in the latest public version of
> the
> JTSK and not a newer version is that many people are familiar with
> 2.1.1
> and it will be this version that people have patches against that are
> not yet incorporated by Sun. Also I think the integration of the code
> modifications between the main/internal version branch of Sun and
> version 2.1.1 will be a good exercise for the initial committers and
> those interested in becoming one to get acquainted with the process
> 'in
> place'.

We're definitely in sync on this one.

> [2] I realize 'what to be left out' has been questioned in the Jini
> community, but I can't recall there was a conclusion. Therefore to
> me it
> seems to make sense to have that discussion here, in the hope it
> can be
> swift.

There have been various, mixed, and interesting discussions on
what should or should not be included from the Starter Kit. To my
mind there were never any conclusions (or consensus) reached and
our plan was to move over the Starter Kit (sans 3rd party code - only
the installer as far as I know) and have the discussion as part of
incubating at Apache.

> --
> Mark

-Jim