river-dev mailing list archives

From Mark Brouwer <mark.brou...@cheiron.org>
Subject Re: thoughts on River project organization...
Date Wed, 31 Jan 2007 13:49:04 GMT
Brian Murphy wrote:
> On 1/31/07, Mark Brouwer <mark.brouwer@cheiron.org> wrote:
>
>> 3) merge ServiceUI and JTSK for the time being so we have one build
>>     process,
>
>> 4) work towards an initial (internal) release that in all aspects
>>     compatible with the current JTSK
>
>> 5) setup of test infrastructure to validate the outcome of 4
>
> For what it's worth, in order to achieve 4) it would seem that
> doing 5) before 3) might be advisable.

You are right, my mistake, although I had in mind 5) is done in
parallel with 3) and 4).

> existing and somewhat complete set of tests, along with a harness
> for running those tests, I would think that it might be desirable
> to establish a baseline by first getting that mechanism set up
> and running before combining or modifying the initial codebase.

In case 5) can be done in a timely fashion I agree with you, I'm very
worried that it won't be the case. I assume/hope a lot of eyes will be
looking at the modifications that could compensate for the omission of a
proper test framework for the initial period.

Therefore if 5) can't be arranged in a timely fashion I still think
we should start with 3) and 4) as the current immobility is rather
frustrating from my perspective, although if I'm the only one there is
nothing to worry about.

> That way, when people do start changing the existing code,
> they'll have a point of reference as well as a mechanism for
> measuring the quality of their changes.

I agree (and not just to be political correct).
--
Mark